Subject: Re: RIP, VAX
To: None <pb0aia@iaehv.nl>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/26/1999 09:45:15
I somewhat seriously proposed before compaq finalized the acquisition of
DEC that we (collectively  the world's DECophiles) bought the company
ourselves to continue to run it as the supreme computer engienering and
manufacturing comapny, and to continue UNIX and VMS development and
marketing, instead of just being a micro$haft reseller. It would have
been ambitious, but i figured that with proabbly a quarter of a million
of us out there, most of us professionals with a decent residual income,
we could have in the aggregate afforded to buy a controlling share of
DEC. Perhaps form a collector corporation to act as a holding company to
really own the DEC shres, and we buy sharesin the holding company so that
our voice had a single overbearing vote as controlling share. ah well..
i'd actually be willing to put a bit of money into buying stock in a
company that takes over the VAX and PDP and UNIX rights and continues
carrying the PDP and VAX lines (and hell, bring back the 36 bit mahcine,
implemented in very spiffy VLSI!) into the future with implementations in
the most advanced production technologies! just imagine a VAX implemented
in the technology that the new AXP's and such are! It'd be incredible!
Silicon is cheap enough that all the stuff that made thingsliek XMI
machines so expensive will be shrinkable to a few custom chips! we could
be a fabless design house, or buy last year's hottest fab equipment for a
pittance and build them ourselves!
any takers? :-)

As for UNIX, i dont think SCO would sell it outright, but they could
certainly make a licensing deal! (hey, i own a source license!)

isildur