Subject: Re: RIP, VAX
To: Andrew Phillips <atp@mssl.ucl.ac.uk>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/26/1999 17:07:26
I advocate TURBOchannel on technical superiority and simplicity of
implementation. The only reason PCI interfaces are cheap is because
a: people dont always use the full bus , and b: there is a ridiculous
economy of scale going on.
TC is simple intrinsically and cheaper to implement. a 100 MHz TC would
blow PCI out of the water.
As for your soundblaster and so on, i advocate general purpose
interfaces: SCSI, 1394,generic analog, generic hi and lo speed async and
sync serial, ethernet, and self-contained graphics head which is NOT
a console (thenyou can stuff 5 of them in the same box, as in a Real
Computer). Alwasy serial console, no way around it, thats just the way i
think it should be. Also, all mass storage interfaces i think should
emulate MSCP, like an Emulex or a CMD scsi adapter does. MSCP is such an
elegant and powerful abstraction, it shouldnt be left to bite the dust.
(also, since it is really a special case of CI, those high speed generic
serial interfaces coudl really be treated as CI adapters... getting
ambitioous here)  I'd like to really implement the VAX as manywould have
dreamed it to be. Sort of like a 6000 series, but smaller, simpler,
cheaper to make. modern VLSI makes that possible.