Subject: RE: RIP, VAX
To: 'Johnny Billquist' <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/26/1999 22:14:27
Johnny Billquist wrote:

> As for 36-bitters, XKL is still in the business, aren't they?

Yes they are in business, but are they still in the busines of making 36
bit machines? Their web site talks about the TOAD-1 in past tense:

http://www.xkl.com/

> And don't mix 36-bitters and VAXen in the same sentence. 36-bit fans
> might object strenously to that. ;-)

Yeah, I know, except Dan Murphy writes a bit about how the VAX almost
had 36 bits and common developement during the Dolphin/Venus days:

http://www.camb.opengroup.org/~dlm/hbook.html

It's a stretch, but reading that paper you could perhaps say that some
of the develoment that should have resulted in a new 36 bit generation
instead ended up as a new VAX generation (the 8600). Thus, some little
part of the 36 bit machines live on in the VAXen. OK, very long stretch.
;-)

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2