Subject: RE: problems with logfiles
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/24/1999 22:01:36
[[ Sorry for all the weird indentation, but I'll try to answer each
question in context without re-ordering the original... ]]

[ On Friday, August 20, 1999 at 11:33:54 (-0700), David Brownlee wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: problems with logfiles
>
> 	Agreed - its definitely bad...
> 	Maybe Greg has been able to look at a fix for the PR.
>
> 	Greg?

No, I've not yet had any time to even think about PR#8065.  All I've
come up with to date is that the solution will require a bit of a
re-design in the unix-domain arena and as I say in the PR I think the
preferred fix is to use named pipes instead of local-domain sockets.

> 		David/absolute
>
> 	"Shall I be tempted by the devil thus?"
> 	"Yes, if the devil tempt you to do good..."
>
> On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Yuri N.Gaystruk wrote:
>
> > Yes they begin log to files. But it is not good to kill -6  syslogd
> > and sendmail each time when newyslog started.

Indeed SIGABRT would be bad (especially to syslogd given the current bug
I describe in it!).

> > >	This sounds like PR 8065
> > >	http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=8065

Actually it sounds much more like the *opposite* of the problem I
describe in PR#8065

Syslogd opens the newly cycled log files -- it's the connection between
long running processes and syslogd that fails.

> > >	If you restart the daemons do they log OK?
> > >
> > >		David/absolute
> > >
> > >             -=-  Sue me, screw me, walk right through me  -=-

I would immediately suspect that newsyslog is not sending a SIGHUP to
syslogd as it normally does by default.

I've generally had a lot of problems with the newsyslog in NetBSD and
I've been working on a much improved replacement for some time.  It is
available here:

	ftp://ftp.weird.com/pub/local/newsyslog-1.0.96.tar.gz

--
							Greg A. Woods