Subject: Re: Floppy boot image testers wanted!
To: None <PORT-VAX@NETBSD.ORG>
From: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/19/1999 09:33:11
>On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Lord Isildur wrote:
>
>> VAXstation ***8000*** ??? do tell!
>
>From the VARM:
>
>  The VAXstation 8000 (VS8000), introduced in February 1988, was
>  Digital's first true 3D workstation.  Based on the VAX 8200 CPU
>  packaged in a deskside enclosure,

It's a VAXBI machine in a nice little box about the size of a BA213. It
has one six-slot BI backplane. My machine came equipped with the CPU,
4MB of RAM, an MSCP ST506 controller, a pair of RX50s (connected to
the ST506 controller rather than to the CPU's console floppy port), a
pair of RD53s, and a DEBNT controlling a TK50 and Ethernet. I first ran
a field test version of MicroVMS 4.5 on it. My former employer used the
system to develop VAXBI hardware (a quad IEEE-488 interface and a shared
memory system for communicating with MIL-STD-1553 avionics equipment).
All in all a fairly nice little box.

When the deal between DEC and E&S went sour, we picked up a spare machine
from E&S. That machine gave me extra memory (needed for VMS 5.mumble) and
a KA800 (the KA800 controlled the E&S hardware). I didn't get the actual
graphics hardware, but I _did_ get a backplane to put the hardware in.

Roger Ivie
ivie@cc.usu.edu