Subject: Re: Floppy boot image testers wanted!
To: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/18/1999 15:57:00
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Roger Ivie wrote:

> I'm sorry for not being specific. I booted from sd0. Sd0 is the jaz
> containing the miniroot and sd1 is a 1GB Conner to which I would like
> to install.

Got ya.  Okay, then.  You've got a SCSI/SCSI controller and your system's
CPU shows up as a VAXstation 3100/{M30,M40} in the kernel boot messsages.
Do you have a precise idea of the Conner drive size?  Is it exactly 1GB, a
little less than 1GB, or a little more than 1GB?  I just want to rule out
the possibility that there are issues with drive geometries >1GB.  I know
that on these systems there were 1GB limitations on boot drives with VMS.
I see no obvious reason why this would be a problem for NetBSD, but I've
only tested on the standard DEC RZnn series drives which came with my
systems (RZ22,RZ23,RZ24) all of which are small SCSI drives -- and then a
Zip drive.  You can "just" fit a full standard install onto a 100Meg Zip
disk.

---
I can duplicate your machine config without much problem, excepting the
hard drive if it's greater than 1GB.  I don't have any unused SCSI disks
laying around which are that large.

Another option, though maybe a non-intuitive one, would be to dd the boot
disk image to your Conner HD and then try to install the destination
system onto your Jaz drive.

-brian.
---