Subject: Re: Failing build due to optimisation
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/18/1999 22:23:06
> > Duh? Is really "make build -DUPDATE" that bad?
> >
> > 	Johnny
>
> Yes, duh.
>
> The only thing UPDATE does is prevent cleaning.  it still causes
> dependancies to be built everywhere.  Even worse, once egcs is
> installed at the beginning of a build, it does a cleandir regardless
> of UPDATE -- this means that the next time you to any kind of build,
> it has to redo egcs.

Hmmm, well the make depend target is still done, but it usually don't do
much when nothings changed.
If egcs does a cleandir no matter wof UPDATE, that sounds like someone
should complain.

I haven't run my 3500 in a while now, so I'm almost forgetting the time
this takes. :-)
(The reason for not running the 3500 is that I'm trying to get a pdp-11
board running in that box...)

	Johnny