Subject: revarp failed - error=41
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/18/1999 09:16:50
I've got a Vaxstation 3500 that I'm this close to net-booting,
but it fails when it tries to mount root with"

revarp failed - err=51
cannot mount root, error=51

Right before this, I get the typical NFS timeout message 4 times
in a row, then the message "trying RARP / BOOTPARAM" before the
above message occurs.  I've tried the client machine now on two
different servers, both running NetBSD.  I've also tried going
back to the 1.4 distribution (I've been using mostly 1.4.1pre).
Still, same error message.  Curiously, the same servers are
booting uVaxII, and various flavors of Vaxstation 3100s with
no problem.

After greping through the archives of this group, I found several
references to this message, but no sure way of getting around it.
I found one hint in a post by Michael Kukat, which mentioned a
kernel that reverses the order of DHCP and revarp, but when I
went to the web link, the file was no longer there.  (This is
http://www.camaronet.de/download/netbsd-bootparams.zip)

I've got the servers set up *exactly* as described in Brian
Chase's FAQ, that is, with no DHCP set up.  This has worked for
me for the other machines, and I haven't got around to learning
the ins and outs of it yet.

Any help is appreciated.

Doug