Subject: 4B CTRLERR, when booting Vaxstation 3500
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/12/1999 23:16:34
This is a machine that had the name "Wombat" painted in big letters
across the box when I was shown to it in the Junkyard.  I took it
home, it refused to talk over the net, and my friend Dave showed me
that DELQA's have fuses, and this one's was bad.

Anyway, tonight I set up my server to netboot this one, but I kept
getting 4B CTRLERR, which I find listed on Hamster's KA650 page
as "Boot Device I-O Error".  On the server, running mopd -d -a,
I'm only seeing packets with length 11, and the last three fields
are CODE 08 RPR.  I believe the server (Decstation 5000/240, running
1.4.1 pmax) is set up right, as I booted my Vaxstation II earlier this
week from it.  The PROM revision is KA650-B V1.2/0123.  When it
performs the initial system tests, it starts from 23 and counts
down.  These are the boards in it, from right to left:

  KA650-BA (M7620-BA)  cpu
  MS650-AA (M7621-AA)  memory
  MS650-AA (M7621-AA)  memory
  DELQA-SA (M7516-SA)  ethernet
  VCB02    (M7619-00)  video (qdss)
  VCBO2    (M7168-00)
  VCB02    (M7168-00)
  TQK70    (M7559-00)  tk70 controller
  KDA50    (M7165-00)  sdi disk controller

(It's a full box, but it has no disks.)

Out of curiosity, I also tried to boot with the MV CUST DIAG TAPE,
which works on the Vaxstation II, and I get the exact same error
message.

Any clues as to what could be causing this?

Doug