Subject: Re: Fun with a 3100/30
To: None <PORT-VAX@NETBSD.ORG>
From: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/12/1999 09:37:51
> Both 1.4 (with the reselect fix) and 1.4.1 works on my 3100/30. It got an
> mfm/scsi-board and two (non DEC) scsi-disks.

I've got the dual-SCSI board and am currently using an Iomega Jaz drive
and a Conner CFP1080S. I switched to the Jaz drive for convenience in
moving things between the PC and the VAX (it's less heavy than an
RZ56 in a storage box) and am currently moving the system from the Jaz
to the Conner.

The Jaz drive causes the SCSI bus test for its associated bus to fail
and you have to boot it twice (the first time the VAX reports DEVOFFLINE),
but it does work (and I have booted VMS from them in the past, although
that was on a 4000/60).

I am, of course, _assuming_ this is a 3100/30 primarily because the
kernel displays 3100/{30,40} on boot. The part number is VS42A-BA. The
machine is indistinguishable from a pre-production prototype I used to
have lying around (modulo dual SCSI instead of ST506/SCSI and a firmware
image new enough that VMS doesn't complain that I need an upgrade every
time it boots) which I'm pretty certain became the 3100/30.

Roger Ivie
ivie@cc.usu.edu