Subject: Re: [Re:VS4k/60 SCSI, LEDs, floppy.]
To: Thleffing Fevell <fool314159265@netscape.net>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/03/1999 07:51:19
BTW, you may just want to use a serial console on this system as you can
get an old laptop or other very low power devices to serve as a terminal
device.  I've got some friends who use their Psion's as low power VT100
emulators.  I'm uncertain as to whether there are any graphics support for
the VS4000 series yet unless they've got onboard mono capabilities like
the VS3100s do.

On 3 Aug 1999, Thleffing Fevell wrote:
> of the case. Its severely un-calibrated. Do the vax gods here know if a
> standard monitor repair shop droid would know how to re-calibrate it? Could I
> do it with a 60Hz generator and patience? Its very delicate, and I don't know
> what those trimpots really mean. There are 10 of them, I believe.
>
>     Thleffing> weird kind of floppy card. Appears to be DEC part. I'd
>
> The card is a "DICEON 1A" from the lith on the dorsal side. Do the vax gods
> know if this baby can load a kernel and do tricks? I am still confused as to
> whether my ethernet or my SCSI (I have 32mb of ram) will work. I recall
> something about the LANCE chips not working with 32mb?

The problem was with the VS3100 second stage bootloader not being able to
use systems with memory greater than 16Megs.  This is no longer a problem,
you can netboot with more than 16Megs.  Your lance ethernet will work, but
there's no SCSI support for the VS4000.

> Yeah, well lets just say that I want a bumpersticker that says "My other car
> is also a minicomputer."

I think you mean:  "My other minicomputer is not a car."

-brian.
---