Subject: kernel compile help needed. ;>
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: paul yaskowski <paul@upvchamber.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/01/1999 22:18:23
hello again,

  i'm pathetically attempting to compile a kernel right now, and i'm
wondering if there is a howto, or even a single page with some pointers
on it.

  my main question is, besides what is half of that stuff ;>, can i
comment out hardware that i know that i do not have?  for instance,
network cards:

# Ethernet cards
#de0            at uba? csr 0174510     # DELUA/DEUNA
#qe0            at uba? csr 0174440     # DEQNA/DELQA
ln0             at vsbus0 csr 0x200e0000# LANCE

  is that ok to comment out?  i know the network card is ln0.  and, for
the cpu type, can i comment out everything except what i think my cpu
is?

options         "VAX410"        # VS 2000

  i used that line, since when the generic kernel boots, i see this:

cpu0 at mainbus0: KA41/42

  both those numbers had a 41 in them, so i decided to go for it. ;)
even better than a few pointers would be a vaxstation3100/m30 user's
config.  thanks in advance.

--
 paul yaskowski [a paradigm of a paramount failure]