Subject: Re: Again: Booting a Vax-Server 3100 with NetBSD-1.4
To: None <allisonp@world.std.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/23/1999 00:41:11
On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 allisonp@world.std.com wrote:

> > You might argue that the EAE-option were big endian. However, I don't
> > remember which way it stored 24-bit words. Do you remember, Allison?
>
> No idea, my 8f is EAE deprived.

Hmmm. Mine isn't, but it's power deprived. :-)
Someone with docs. on the EAE or the FPP-8 or FPP-12?

> > The PDP-8 did number the bits the other way around, though, but then
> > again, just about every computer of that age did.
>
> Yes but when I think about it it is a tad upside down, And I don't mind it
> either.
>
> You may be right and most of the better known dec machines are consistant.
> My adventures are limited to PDP-8 , PDP-11 and VAX and we know the 11 and
> VAX should be the similar. ;)

I've also played with PDP-10s, and they are also word-based machines. Not
much point in trying to define them as little- or big-endian.

Obscure note on the pdp-11: it's actually middle-endian. :-)
A 32-bit integer is stored as 3412.
(Using the FP-11 for 32-bit stuff)

	Johnny