Subject: Re: fstab: explanation?
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Magnus Gr|nlund <magnus@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/14/1999 16:54:33

> Of course, I don't think there's anything which prevents you from
> allocating your b and d,e,f,... partitions in novel ways.  I suppose you
> could give your b partition sectors which are physically located after
> those in your d partition.

At home I simply use one large a partition for everyting. No risk of
finding I made one partition to small and much more disk to fill before
I run out of space on /  :-)

On my FreeBSD-machine I did a kind of novel thing. The b (swap) partition
is physically located _before_ the a partition (which is the rest of the
disk) so that the swap partition is kept on the fastest part of the IDE
disk. If I understand Ragge correctly this doesn't work on NetBSD-vax
though. (But since older disks doesn't have different zones it doesn't
matter much anyway.)

/Magnus