Subject: Re: I'm happy with my new uVax, but ...
To: Douglas S. Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/13/1999 13:07:58
On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Douglas S. Meade wrote:

> Slot Card ID  Rev
> ==== ======= ====
> 1    M7606-AE  A1     CPU
> 2    M7608-BA  B2     Is this memory?

Yeah, that should be a 4Meg board.  So including the 1Meg on the CPU
board, you'd have 5Meg of RAM.  That's a pretty tight config for
NetBSD/vax but it'll certainly run. :-)  If you get things running, you'll
certainly want a streamlined kernel.

> 3    M9407            Grant continuity card
> 4    M7504     J4     DEQNA Ethernet card

You're in luck here.  I don't know how I'd ever get along without network
connectivity.

> 5      empty
> 6    M7555     D2     M7546 H3     (RQDX3 controller & TQK50)
>
> >From the diagram on the outside case, it appears that there was once
> a M3104 D1 (DHV11 communication card) in slot 5.

That's a shame.  How are you going to setup your own VAX terminal
room without a MUX? ... I can maybe help out here.

> My first problem, not a minor one, is that the power supply appears
> to be dead.  After carefully marking the power connectors, I removed
> the power supply from the chassis, and plugged it in and hit the
> switch again, and the fan doesn't even come on.
>
> Hardware guys -- what's my best bet now?  Look for some more uVaxen
> to combine parts, or can this power supply be economically repaired?
> I've got a buddy in the Physics department who says they have one
> old dead one they may be willing to let go of (I hope it doesn't
> have the same problem!)

I'd definitely try to get your hands on the one in the Physics dept.  It
never hurts to have more options for troubleshooting.  Depending on the
red tape involved with acquiring the dead system from the Physics dept,
you might to clandestinely swap power supplies between them.  I mean, if
its already dead, what's the harm in making it twice as dead?

> Assuming I do get the power on, how about the apparently pulled
> card in slot 5?  Should I move the cards in slot 6 to slot 5.
> I read somewhere that the cards need to be continuous, but I
> also don't know if there's something "magic" about the disk and
> tape controllers being in slot 6.

Just move them over into the 5 slot... or get a MUX module and fill in the
gap. :-)

> Also, I'm sad to say that there had been a TK50 in this chassis,
> but it was also apparently pulled.

You've at least got a DEQNA though, so you can bootstrap your system
install from the network if you're motivated to setup a bootserver.  Did
the system come with any hard drives?  Ideally you'd want an RD54 (160Meg),
but you could get by with a smaller drive and some NFS mounted filesystems.

-brian.
---