Subject: Re: Soooo close...
To: None <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com,port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/07/1999 10:04:17
At 09:31 AM 6/7/99 -0700, kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com wrote:
>	Question: newfs reported that some sectors remained
>unallocated for each partition (a, b, c, and g) that I set up. Is this
>normal? If not, what did I do wrong?

The file system only builds the FS into multiples of the cylinder groups,
if the number of sectors doesn't evenly divide into a number of cylinder
groups then the sectors "left over" are unused. On SCSI disks you can "fix"
this by redefining your disk label's tracks/sec, secs/track, num of tracks
such that you get an even number of cylinders for your effective disk
geometry.

Another source of this can be disk labels that don't match up with the
drive. In both cases they are like "pointer cast" warnings in C compiles,
not uncommon, often harmless, but worth investigating.

>	Next question: I'm trying to figure out what the name of the 1.4
>kernel is (I thought it was still netbsd.gz, but no such luck) so I can
>copy it to the system disk and try to boot from it instead of the
>tape. However, I've not had any luck tracking it down as yet.

Its called 'netbsd' and it and the boot program are part of the kern.tgz
file in the distribution. If you gunziped and untarred every .tgz file in
the 'sets' directory of the install then it should be sitting there in /
along with boot.

>	It appears that the /boot directory contains lots of files that may
>or may not be required to boot 1.4, and I was thinking about
>copying the whole thing to / on the system drive, but that's about
>the time my vision started blurring from a long day's efforts.

Huh?! On my 1.4 system /boot is an executable 50368 bytes long dated Apr28.
On my _FreeBSD_ system its a directory but not on the NetBSD vaxen!

This is something to clear up I think.

--Chuck