Subject: Re: +Infinity D_Float on VAX?
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: I. Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/29/1999 10:49:39
On Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 12:25:18AM -0800, Brian D Chase wrote:
> I don't see any info in my perusing the VAX Arch Ref Manual about what
> value to set for use as +Infinity.  My best guess would be to set the
> D_Float to have a positive sign bit, the maximum exponent value, and the
> maximum fractional value. I'm not entirely sure if that's the right
> approach, but I think it may work out.  Just wondering if anyone knows the
> proper way to set +Infinity for a VAX D_float.

There might be a basic problem. I'm not sure (my VAX Arch Ref Manual is
at home) but ... is there any way to do this at all?

As far as I now, strange things like _representing_ +Infinity,
-Infinity, and the result of dividing 0/0 in the data (instead of just
signalling an error condition) are an invention of the IEEE floating
point spec and weren't around on VAXen.

Regards,
	-is