Subject: Re: M7504 - DEQNA
To: Per Larsson <tucker@algonet.se>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/27/1999 03:06:55
On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Per Larsson wrote:

> I have a mvII/GPX with a DEQNA that I'm trying to netboot.
> First off, I'm having to use 1.3.2 files and 1.3F kernel, since I haven't
> found a boot-DEQNA.mopformat that can understand the 1.3I kernel that uses
> rarp. I've found one (thanks to Brian D. Chase) from August using bootp.
> I tried setting the 'root' (I think, I looked at the manpage at the time)
> in the dhcpd-config, but no go, and I'm not familiar enough with the
> bootpd config file to do it the real way.

You might try using the GENERIC 1.3.2 kernel as a starting point.  I've
have very good luck with it on my MicroVAX II and DEQNA.  Not sure if all
the development kernels behave as well.

> Anyway, after a while i get 'panic: qe0: chained packet' or 'panic:
> qe0:ring overrun' and get the 'db>' prompt.

The `qe0: ring overrun' messages are normal.  They crop up whenever the
DEQNA goes idle.  I find that running a `ping -i 2' from my MicroVAX II to
one of my other systems causes the ring overrun messages to go away.  Yes,
that's a poor hack, but it does work.  As for the `panic: qe0: chained
packet' error, I've been fortunate enough to not have run across one of
those yet.  It could be that you're stuck with an ill-tempered DEQNA.

> Do I have a broken DEQNA? It works, except for the spurious panics.
> Is there some way to diagnose a DEQNA?
>
> I'm using a 486 running linux slackware as the bootserver, and the
> MV3100/m20e I'm also messing around with doesn't have these kind of
> problems. Then again, it doesn't use DEQNA..
>
> > you will have to of course set jumpers/dips on them for them both to
> > coexist..
>
> Anyone have the settings for the DEQNA?

---

    |                                              -----
  \ |      | W3                                         |
   ||                                                   |
  / |      1                                            |
    |      | W1                                     ____|
    |      .                             : W2      |
    |      2                                        ----
    |                                                   |
    |                                                   |
    |                                                   |
    |                                               ____|

Jumper 1 (W1) determines the CSR address assignment.  The DEQNA CSR
addresses are fixed, as follows:

  Module      CSR Address
    1         17774440
    2         17774460

If two DEQNAs are to be installed, move jumper W1 of the second DEQNA onto
the left and center pins.

The interrupt vector is fixed at 120 for the first DEQNA, and if floating
for the second DEQNA.  No hardware configuration is required.

Jumper W2 is normally removed.  When removed, it provides fair access to
all DMA devices using the Q-22 bus by causing the DEQNA to wait 5 usecs
beore re-requesting the bus.

Jumper W3 is normally installed.  When installed it disables a sanity
timer at intialization.

---

-brian.
---