Subject: Wow! BIG jump, but now different problems...
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/27/1999 00:46:16
	Sometimes, I feel like just whacking myself with a clue-by-four...

	Upon inspecting the Ethernet cable I was using (and, in fact, had
hand-made) for the MV-II, I discovered that I'd transposed a couple of
wires in one of the plugs. After some inspired cursing, I lopped off the
offending connector and crimped on a new one.

	The MV-II now netboots. In fact, it gets a lot farther than the VS3100
does. However, there's still a couple of things I'm not clear on.

	1). At one point in the boot process, it says 'Boot device: <unknown>' and
prompts me for 'Root device:' I have been responding 'qe0' sans quotes
since the root is located on a Linux box.

	2). The next thing it prompts me for is 'Dump device:' I've been telling
it 'None.' Is this right?

	3). Here's the kicker. It then asks me for 'file system' to which I've
tried responding with both 'generic' (the default) and 'nfs.' The result is
the same: It gets to this point...

	exec /sbin/init: error 8
	init not found
	Panic: no init
	(it then says 'Stopped at' and gives a hex address)
	db>

	...and then halts as shown with a db> prompt. I find, then, that I have
some very limited commands. However, I've also checked the directory on the
Linux box where the NetBSD tree is. I have it stashed in:

	/home/netbsd/root

	And, when I ls -l the directory /home/netbsd/root/sbin/init, the file is
very much present and accounted for. The permissions are set at 755, so I
know I can read and execute it remotely, and the group is set to 0 for the
entire directory.

	Any thoughts?

	As a final note: Once I get netbooting straightened out once and for all,
is there a FAQ to do a local installation on a netbooted workstation? I'd
rather not have to depend on the Linux box being a bootserver its entire life.

	Thanks in advance.

Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."