Subject: Re: sigh, this sux d00dz
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/23/1999 18:42:32
Hi !

> All I want to do is build the system from source on a uVax II. I'm trying
> to back port the scheduler fixes into 1.3.2 while I wait for a build of
> current that is recognized as UNIX. I've got the fixes and I want to build
> a kernel. On 1.3 I get a hang ('cuz I'm trying to fix it.) and on 1.3.2 I
> get various VM panics. This basically makes the system unusable. I'm
> tempted to run the VAX backend on the egcs stuff on a x86 FreeBSD system
> and try to build it that way.
>
> SO what system does this version build on anyway?

I have absolutely no problems on my VAXstation 3100m76, it compiles my
kernels since the official 1.3.2-release. I got a problem around the
990101-version, where "ln" always crashed, but then i installed the new
current binaries with shared libraries, and everything went fine again.
I have a crosscompiler lying around somewhere, if you want to compile it
on i86, but give the uVAX a last try: get the kernel from
http://www.camaronet.de/download/netbsd.gz, this should run on the uVAX,
get the current binaries, install 'em and try it. This way it runs fine,
if it doesn't do on your box, we should check out the uVAX II-support.

so long.. Michael