Subject: Re: Snapshot woes
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/23/1999 01:56:39
On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Chuck McManis wrote:

> This is what I can do:
> [...]
> 	I created a new NFS file system with everything in the 12011998
> 	snapshot and tried a variety of kernels. They all fail in
> 	different ways:
> [...]
>
> 	With the 1.3 kernel the system boots
> 	but when it trys to start init it says:
> 		exec /sbin error 8
> 		init: not found
> 		panic: no init
> 		db>
>
> Which, reading the source claims it is an exec format error suggesting my
> sbin is hosed but from how?

Not sure why the other kernels are unhappy, but this last on is probably
because the Dec. snapshot is dynamically linked, but the 1.3 kernel
(meaning 1.3 - 1.3.2) doesn't have support for dynamically linked
binaries.

> Another weirdness is as follows:
>
> On my Intel FreeBSD system (which is acting as the NFS server for this guy)
> the command 'file sbin/init' returns "little endian ispell hash file?" but
> on the miniroot version it returns NetBSD/vax demand paged executable.
>
> I used "gzip -dc | tar -xvpf -" on the intel system to untar the tarball
> into a source tree, I suppose the version of either tar or gzip could be
> incompatible but somehow I doubt it.
>
> What's up guys?

Just different magic files on the two platforms mostl likely.  The FreeBSD
system may not know about NetBSD/vax binaries.  See `man 5 magic' for
details.

-brian.
---