Subject: Re: Getting closer, but...
To: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/21/1999 22:24:36
Hi !

> 	I'm starting the process by using b/100 on the VAX. It then responds with
> 'Bootfile:' to which I respond MOPBOOT (I've tried it upper and lower case,
> no difference).
>
> 	On the Linux box, I have a symbolic link between the name MOPBOOT.SYS
> (which I understand is what MOPD expects to see), and the bootloader. I've
> tried a couple of different bootloaders, including the one you sent me
> (renamed to my VAXen's hardware address) and boot-DEQNA.mopformat as
> obtained from the NetBSD FTP site.

Don't know exactly what in wants, i use names in the form: 08002b123456.SYS,
what is the hardware address of the box (lower case) and .SYS appended. These
are 4 symbolic links to one "boot.mop" file. Important under Linux: the booter
must be in mopa.out format. (If in doubt:
http://www.camaronet.de/download/boot.mop.gz contains the latest version).

> 	I've not had any luck just yet, other than to watch activity from the mop
> daemon. When I first start the VAX up and try to boot it, I see an 18-byte
> packet come out of it, followed by a 1-byte reply from the MOP daemon.
>
> 	Seems to me that reply should be a lot longer than 1 byte! ;-)

It should send a lot of bytes, in blocks of about 1.5 KB if i remember right. But you can take a look at "tail -f /var/log/messages" when the booter is running in background. Here is what should appear:

Mar 21 20:32:48 zeus mopd[419]: 8:0:2b:33:90:dc (1) Do you have 08002b3390dc? (Yes)
Mar 21 20:32:48 zeus mopd[419]: 8:0:2b:33:90:dc Send me 08002b3390dc
Mar 21 20:32:48 zeus mopd[419]: 8:0:2b:33:90:dc Load completed

> 	I remember you mentioned that your bootloader was a much newer one that's
> configured to use bootp. Perhaps I don't have my bootpd or bootptab set up
> right?

I use the bootp version here, but it was disconnected in the sources. Don't
know why, it runs stable. But you are not that far to think about bootp or
bootparams. You are still at "mop" level, where mopd takes all the control.
BTW: if you didn't got the mopd from my mop-survival-pack at
http://www.camaronet.de/download, get this. This version definitely runs and i
wrote a little documentation how to install a netbooting system.
(Will be made better some time, was only for someone having problems).

> 	Any suggestions? I'm also going to drop a note to the people who wrote the
> actual MOP daemon. They may have some insights.

Wouldn't be bad, but if you don't habe the buggy version i had (corrected
version in mop-survival-pack, compiled for libc6), it should be no problem.

cu.. Michael