Subject: Re: Frustrations in getting a VAXServer3600 up and running.
To: Kent Rankin <srao@usit.net>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/20/1999 15:46:07
On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Kent Rankin wrote:

> Here is the immediate situation:
>
>     VAXServer 3600 loads boot.mopformat(for DEQNA) via MOP.
>
>     VAXServer 3600 presents prompt attempting to grab /netbsd
>
>     Linux box serving it states that it is telling VAXServer 3600 what
>             it's address is via RARP.
>
>     VAXServer 3600 states that the RARP lookup failed(the usual code 60 bit)
>
> -
>
>     Any ideas?
>
>     BTW, I need to get it up and running ASAP.

You've preloaded the ARP cache with static entries?  This was a workaround
for problems I'd experienced under Linux 2.0.x.  I'm not sure if it's
still an issue with Linux 2.2 as I've not gotten around to upgrading my
Linux system yet.

If you're Linux system is an Alpha, then there are another set of problems
that go along with it.  Then finally, the KA650 CPU support has been less
than functional since at least NetBSD/vax 1.3.2.  I'm not sure what the
most recent status of KA650 is.  It was broken for a while, I think it
went functional again over the summer, but as of early 1999 it was broken
again.  I'm not sure what the current status is, but I managed to compile
a GENERIC kernel from current last night without too many incidents.

I can spin it up on the MV3600 I have here.

-brian.
---