Subject: Re: bootp support in kernel
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/18/1999 07:42:53
Hi !

> DHCP was not invented by MICROS~1 or even sanctioned by them (they prefer
> something called "WINS") however DHCP is a _much_ better protocol than
> BOOTP which it superceded.
>
> DHCP allows you to specify a given address is only to be given to a
> particular MAC address and it allows you to pass other bits in there as
> well such as filesystems to mount, DNS servers to use, etc etc.

Ok, i don't know the whole RFC, i saw, the linux dhcpd knows about such things
as MAC addresses, but we always have trouble with DHCP network installations
when installing our database software. These ARE fully dynamically. I don't
know Windoze so exactly anymore, i have a MS-free-zone here :-) Maybe even NT
knows, who must have which address.

cu.. Michael