Subject: Re: 4000/60 nearly there!
To: None <penfold@customware.dyn.EZ-IP.Net>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/15/1999 07:52:50
Hi !

> > 10.x.x.x and 127.x.x.x -> Class-A network, Netmask 255.0.0.0
> > 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x -> Class-B network, Netmask 255.255.0.0
> > 192.168.0.x - 192.168.255.x -> Class-C network, Netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> But, this assumes the network is classful (which is an incorrect assumption
> most of the time these days.. ). I guess if it has to make as assumption,
> this is the way to go..

That's the problem why RARP doesn't do the job right today. We should use bootp
(support is in libsa, maybe i find an easy way to include bootp support for
root FS.)

> In the end tho, it seems to have worked ok despite this now that Im using
> the 486 as a bootparam server
>
> > 2) Patch the kernel, that it does bootp when mounting the root fs (maybe
> > i try it somewhen, because my whole network works with bootp here,
> > including linux and windoze boxes).
>
> This would be the ultimate way to go.  Would this then mean we can
> dispense with bootparamd altogether?

I just want to turn off my bootparamd and stop starting "rarp -f" after every
boot (about 1 every month :-)

Nobody really needs bootparamd for other things, some old systems use it for
booting, but why shold NetBSD stay an old system in this case. Bootp is much
better and used very much today. (Windoze in DHCP mode uses bootp also).

I'll look inside, what we can do.

cu.. Michael