Subject: Re: 4000/60 nearly there!
To: None <penfold@customware.dyn.EZ-IP.Net>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/14/1999 09:23:11
I believe this has to do with a bug in the bootparamd code as implmented
under Linux.  It doesn't show up on the i386/Linux distribution but it
does under the Alpha and possibly Sparc distributions of bootparamd for
Linux.  I have an e-mail on this somewhere, now I just need to track it
down.

-brian.

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 penfold@customware.dyn.EZ-IP.Net wrote:

> Well, thanks to the help of the kind people on this list I _nearly_
> have this working!
>
> I now have a console cable which works and can netboot this off my
> linux/AXP box to the point where the kernel is looking for the root
> fs.
>
> Here is the output from the console:
>
> mountroot: trying nfs...
> nfs_boot: trying RARP (and RPC/bootparam)
> nfs_boot: client_addr=0xa000004
> nfs_boot: timeout...
> nfs_boot: timeout...
> nfs_boot: timeout...
> nfs_boot: bootparam whoami, error=60
> mountroot: trying ffs...
> no file system for ln0
> cannot mount root, error = 79
>
> Does error=60 mean that it got no response from the bootparam server?
>
> When I run rpc.bootparamd -d, I see no debug output.
>
> curiously tho, doing a tcpdump shows this:
>
> 21:57:08.485148 vax.1023 > 10.255.255.255.sunrpc: udp 96
>
> it looks like the kernel has got the wrong bcast address.
> (The LAN here is a 10.0.0.0/24 network.  The VAX is 10.0.0.4 and the alpha
> which which is the boot server is 10.0.0.3)
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> thanks again guys.
>
> - Damian
> damian@ccc.bu.aust.com