Subject: Re: 4000/60 serial console
To: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
From: None <penfold@customware.dyn.EZ-IP.Net>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/14/1999 09:19:27
> Is THAT possible ? But doesn't matter, just put in any SCSI drive, when 53c94
> is running some day.

yup!  it looks like they may have used a big screwdriver to break the
mechanicals out! (this was ex dept of defense...)

> 4000 series isn't even started to be graphical, but if you have the same
> graphics controller as i have (4000 VLC with HR-8PLN FB), maybe you needn't
> wait too long. Just enter "show conf" and tell me the output at "LCG" and
> "AUD".

show conf lists
LCG 	OK
	 'LR - 8 PLN FB - V1.1'

AUD	OK

> You need a cable (DEC makes adapters and cables for standard RS-232 ports),
> pinout is somewhere in the hardware reference on the netbsd pages, flip the
> switch on the right side (S3) up, and you can use it with the serial console.

excellent!  I think I will be retreiving my soldering iron today!
is it 8N1? 7E1? 7E2?

> It's old, but i think it helped many people:
> http://www.camaronet.de/download/mop-survival-pack.tgz

excellect! (again!) The machine I want to netboot off for now, doesnt
have a compiler...

Has anyone tried compiling these tools on linux/axp ?

> > Hardware question time - What is the DB15M connector next to the mousekb
> > connectors for?  Also, what is the connector on the front with the icon of
> > a phone handset for?
>
> DB15M - i don't have it, but if you have no strange looking connector on the
> rear, with 3 coax connectors i a D-connector case, then this must be your video
> output, maybe it's a LR-Framebuffer in this case. VS 3100 has this monitor
> connector. Pinout must be somewhere in those hardware refs. (I have it here, if
> you neet it).
would this be some sort of default (mono?) video on the motherboard?  the video
connector im using is on a separate card.  This card aso has a DB15M next to
the VGA connector (which im currently using)

thanks heaps!  I might actually have this thing runnign by the end of the
weekend!

- Damian Maxwell
damian@ccc.bu.aust.com