Subject: VS 4000 VLC configs needed
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/09/1999 20:19:01
Hi again !

I just checked out my 4000 VLC again, because of the kernel crashes i
had yesterday. After carrying it to the living room, where there's only
a BNC connector, it seems to run stable. Maybe, my TP transceiver is
buggy or so. So, if you encounter kernel panics, tell me your
configuration ! I need: Amount of RAM installed and type of network
media.

And something different: I "surfed" around the memory addresses
yesterday evening and found the base address of the framebuffer RAM.
It's not yet in work, but i plan to get my 8 plane FB running, the 4000
VLC shall be a X workstation in the future. So i want you to tell me,
what Framebuffer you have. It seems, the 4000 VLC always has a
framebuffer, but according to the option lists i found in the net, there
are different versions. Just type "show config" after the box finished
it's system checks and tell me the output of device 2 and 11. If you
have:

2	LCG	OK
		 HR - 8 PLN FB - V1.2
11	AUD	OK

you have the same one as i have and support for it is planned ! If you
get other values, mail me the output. (Those who have the above one: As
i know, it's 1280x1024 @ 75 Hz or so... My NEC multisync 4D is not
capable to display it, and the VR-299 also doesn't know about it. If you
have such a FB, please also mail me... for statistic purposes :-)

For the interested: FB RAM area starts at 0x21000000, ends at
0x22ffffff, there are 4 blocks of 8 MB, mirrored, FB RAM is 2 MB if i
checked the chips right. The first 4 KB are some strange data (maybe
control registers of the FB), at 0x21001000 the real displayed area
starts. (Only can see the differences on the screen if i deposit
something there, no real display on all my monitors).

SCSI is 53c94 or a compatible chip (Emulex ESP216 in my box), a driver
is in NetBSD, maybe it's usable in this form, support is in work for the
4000/60.

And: Where is, and how does this damned cache work ? The box is fast
without it... could it be it's always enabled and i don't see ?

So far for the news, more to come, if the kernel is even more usable.

cu.. Michael