Subject: Re: New boot program inchecked.
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/06/1999 15:47:06
Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > Regarding the boot code - I've got an odd situation. I recently bombed out
> > my working 3600/GPX while trying to upgrade, and just now got around to
> > rebuilding it (had some netboot problems, went away with the latest
> > snapshot/kernel combo).
> > However, I'm using the latest snapshot boot and the latest kernel (990101),
> > and for some reason, my QDSS doesn't work anymore. The machine comes up, and
> > does show the system tests and 2.. dua0 1..0.. on the QDSS, then the boot
> > program takes over and moves to the serial console, and the kernel stays
> > there. Also, the boot code never automatically kicks in and loads the kernel
> > (it just waits for me to type "boot").
> >
> Wait a moment here - do you use a 3600 with QDSS graphics? AFAIK no
> MV3 CPU's have ever supported QDSS graphics under NetBSD. There have
> never been any PROM support code in the boot program for doing console
> I/O to the QDSS on CVAX, so it can't ever have worked.

Worked just fine with 1.3.2, I believe it was. May have been one of the
custom
kernels released between 1.3.1 and 1.3.3. Yes, the boot code didn't
work, but the
kernel did. Without a hitch. The QDSS would show the normal system
tests, the
1..0.., then the boot loader would go to the serial console, then the
kernel would
switch right back to the QDSS. KA650-A v5.3, VMB 2.7, in a BA123 (cause
I don't
have room for a 213 right now, it's in storage), with a QDSS, TQK-50,
Dilog SCSI
controller, and DELQA.

> > Is this something obvious that I'm doing wrong? Or have we lost QDSS? I
> > haven't gone through and competely rebuilt from the snapshot - that's my
> > next option.
> >
> QDSS on MicroVAX 2 should work just fine. That code isn't touched.
>
> > Also - is the graphics head on the 3100/m38 supported yet as a console? I
> > don't have a cable to hook the ($##@!#$) MMJ port to a terminal, but my QDSS
> > monitor/kb/mouse cable plugs nicely into the head port of the m38s. Of
> > course, if the boot program isn't going to automatically load the kernel,
> > this still leaves me up the creek without the proverbial paddle, because I
> > can't go into the non-existant serial console and type "boot".
> >
> The mono graphics on 3100 should work just fine as console _but_ you may
> _not_ have the diag switch at the rear set to "serial console".
>
> -- Ragge

When you say that, do you mean that everything, including the bootloader
(boot.mopformat, from the 120198 snapshot) will also send it's info to
the
graphics console (again, with the console switch set to "graphics")?