Subject: Boot fails...
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/24/1999 18:11:49
Hi everyone!

I have some, uhm, -bizarre errors when trying to boot a new install
kernel i've compiled. It works without problem when netbooting, but
when i try to boot it from disk it fails, but only if i've configured
the md disk. If i leave it unconfigured the kernel boots...
This is what happens when i try to boot from disk.

>>> b/1 dka500

-DKA500
howto 0x1, bdev 0xa2, booting...done.

>> NetBSD/vax boot [Dec  9 1998 20:19:36] <<
>> Press any key to abort autoboot 5
> boot rom()netbsd
changing rpb->unit from 500 to 5
792596+1615456|
?06 HLT INST
    PC =3D 1200042B
>>>=20

I've tried using both a booter i've compiled on my own box, as well
as the one from Ragges bootimage, none of them works.
-And, yes, i've written new bootblocks on the disk, but with the same
result. It seems that the bootloader can't load the kernel into memory
when run from disk.

This is the last problem to overcome, when this is fixed i've got a
bootable CD-image to use when installing on the VS3100. There seems
to be quite a lot of folks running in to trouble when installing their
first system, so this would help them quite a lot i guess. When ready
i'll make the CD-image available for download.

cheers,
/Anders
--=20
* Anders H=F6grelius SdU   Phone : +46 21 381860  =20
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: anders.hogrelius@usa.net        =20
* 72216 V=E4ster=E5s            or : elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se             =20