Subject: Re: Unknown Hardware in VAX3500
To: Philipp Buehler <vax@fips.de>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/11/1999 07:53:26
Philipp Buehler <vax@fips.de> writes:

> After cleaning the hole machine *cough*, I see switches on the
> CPUslot (KA650). The one round has 3 positions with a face (?) an
> arrow and a 'T' w/ a circle around it.

Arrow means normal startup, face means always ask operator for
language to use, T in circle is (DEC field service) test mode.

> The second with 2 positions shows a dot in a circle and a dot above
> a circle.

Dot in circle: stop power-on bootstrap at ">>>" prompt, and enable
BREAK.  (Hitting BREAK halts the CPU.)  Dot outside circle: Power-on
bootstrap loads operating system, BREAK is disabled.

> What is about that Battery Pack behind the CPUSlotblend?

Drives the CMOS memory for setup information, and the TOY clock.

> The SCSI Board in there has an NCR53c90A chip and as manufacturer:
> CMD Model: CQD-223/M. Is this supported by NetBSD?

Yup, it's an MSCP controller.  See http://www.cmd.com/.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"