Subject: Re: Unknown Hardware in VAX3500
To: Philipp Buehler <vax@fips.de>
From: Stan Pietkiewicz <stanp@storm.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/11/1999 19:07:25
Philipp Buehler wrote:

<<snip>>
After cleaning the hole machine *cough*, I see switches on the CPUslot

> (KA650). The one round has 3 positions with a face (?) an arrow and a 'T'
> w/ a circle around it. The second with 2 positions shows a dot in a circle
> and a dot above a circle. The symbol is a circle w/ a triangle in it.
> strange.. ;]

The arrow is for normal operation, the "face" displays a menu for selecting the
console prompt language, and the T is for test mode.
The other switch controls the boot action; I forget which position is which, but
one will boot the OS (if the console variables are set, and the battery is ok.)
and the other position boots to the console ( >>> prompt).

> What is about that Battery Pack behind the CPUSlotblend?

The battery pack maintains the console environment variables, and probably the
real-time clock.

> The SCSI Board in there has an NCR53c90A chip and as manufacturer: CMD Model:
> CQD-223/M. Is this supported by NetBSD?

I think the CQD-223/M appears to the system as an MSCP type controller, so it
should work.....

Stan.