Subject: Re: NetBooting 3100 and 2000
To: None <buck_c@polygon.com>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/06/1999 23:53:38
>Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 16:27:59 -0600
>From: "J. Buck Caldwell" <buck_c@polygon.com>
>
>in SCSI on the 3600, so plenty of space for root & swap until SCSI starts
>working well (or does it work well enough to out-preform net yet?), and I

No, I'd have to say that the scsi disk in my 3100m76 with the pio-only
driver is slower than an nfs mount (from my pentium 90 server, over
10base2).  The only real value of the scsi driver as it stands is that
it allooows these machines to run if you don't have a convenient
server (or want the machine to be independent enough to run without a
server present).

Now that I got the PIO driver working again, I'm interested in doing
some work to get DMA working again.  But I don't have enough expertise
to do that, and all the DMA and interrupt code has been stripped out
of the current driver.  I don't have CVS access, and i'm too lazy to
go FTPing around to piece together the old sources I would need.  So
I'll probably just work on something else for now.

Cheers,
entropy