Subject: Re: Booting SCSI
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Dickens <rdickens@cix.compulink.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/03/1999 20:55:00

> No, the console should _always_ be (0,0). It get connected by the
> kernel to the appropriate device, like (1,3) if using the serial
> connector.
> The console can never be on (1,0), if it can on some vax type then
> it isn't supported. I have never heard about any machine having it at
> any other connector than (1,3).
>
> -- Ragge

In that case the console support is still broken for MV3100/10!
On my machine 1,0 is tty00 which is the first MMJ port on the back of the
machine. This was created by MAKEDEV dz0. This works.

Recreating /dev/console as 1,0 means that I can see bootup messages from
the point where /etc/rc is executed onwards.

I suppose the problem is that on a VS3100 the console is the graphic
device where as on the MV3100 it's the first tty port yet they are both
KA41s.

What setting tells the kernel which device is the console? Or rather how
can I make device id 0,0 map to the first MMJ port?

Richard Dickens