Subject: Re: Booting SCSI
To: Richard Dickens <rdickens@cix.compulink.co.uk>
From: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/02/1999 17:40:10
On 2 Jan 1999, Richard Dickens wrote:
> Thanks for the info, it's now reading the kernel from the disk.
>=20
> However, it doesn't seem to get much further, I see one flash on the=20
> activity lights of the SCSI disk and tape (device probe I think), then a=
=20
> couple more flashes on the disk and it hangs.
>=20
> It doesn't manage to output anything to the console so I guess it's not=
=20
> getting as far as executing /etc/rc.
>=20
> Are there any extra switches I could pass to the boot command? I've tried=
=20
> -s and that didn't help?
>=20
> The same kernel works fine when net booted and allows me to mount the SCS=
I=20
> disk.=20

Are you trying to boot from the console?
If so, you've got to have a devicefile that allows the kernel to direct
it's output to the console. I seem to remember someone writing something
about that sometime ago on port-vax. Even if the kernel supports the=20
console, the devicefile has to be there for it to work.
BTW. it's only the newer kernels that has support for it as far as i know,
at least on the VS3100.

/Anders
--=20
* Anders H=F6grelius SdU   Phone : +46 21 381860  =20
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: anders.hogrelius@usa.net        =20
* 72216 V=E4ster=E5s            or : elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se             =20