Subject: Re: boot flags
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/14/1998 10:30:28

> Recently, ragge mentioned that "b/40" will cause the kernel symbol
> table to be loaded.  This brings to mind two questions:
>
> * Why isn't the symbol table loaded by default?
"The world has changed, but not the vax port" :-) The symbol table
is only used when DDB is compiled-in. Originally it was only loaded
if RB_KDB was specified, but if the symtab is not loaded and DDB is
compiled in it may give unpredictable behaviour.

I have rewritten the boot program rather much lately, and made it look
more like the i386 boot program. It's almost finished and I will commit
it later this week hopefully. This means, among other things, that the
symtab is loaded by default, and that the hex flags is unnecessary.

-- Ragge