Subject: Re: VS3100 and the new snapshot kernel... (solved)
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/12/1998 13:47:53
maximum entropy writes:
> >Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 10:40:18 +0100
> >From: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@triplan.com>

[..]

> >Mhmm, maybe there is a (new?) kernel parameter that needs tweaking. How
> >much memory does you machine have? I currently have 16 MB in the machine
>
> I'm pretty sure it has 16M.  I'll check later, and if I'm wrong I'll
> let you know.

Mine has 24MB.  Same problem.  Perhaps it is related to the CL* calculations
discussed earlier?  My kernel reports:
   NetBSD 1.3I (GENERIC) #139: Sun Nov 29 18:39:41 CET 1998
       ragge@subzero:/multi/src/sys/arch/vax/compile/GENERIC

   VAXstation 3100/m{38,48}
   realmem = 25034752
   avail mem = 21778432
   Using 38 buffers containing 155648 bytes of memory.

Hmm, 38 buffers containing 150K?  Definitely calculating wrong.  Perhaps
the KMEMCLUSTERS are being miscalculated also?

Perhaps someone able to compile kernels could build a new one with the
NKMEMCLUSTERS option set to something reasonable? (1024?)  Also shouldn't
setting 'options BUFCACHE=10' cause the buffer cache to be 10% of RAM?

-Andrew

Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.