Subject: Re: RL01 behaviour; Dilog DQ226?
To: Varga Akos Endre <hamster@telnet.hu>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/03/1998 16:27:55
On Thu, 03 Dec 1998, Varga Akos Endre wrote:
>First: is there some documentation on the web about the RL01 drives? I
>just got a PDP-11/04 system with two of these beasts. After I looked
>at the innards, cleaned it up a little and switched it on, I get the FAULT
>light, right after the power is on. The drive seems to move the disk
>spindle (or whatever it is called), then sometimes the LOAD button lights
>up too. Both drives do this, without being connected to the machine (it'll
>take some time to have the machine working...). What should I check? (I
>know, that this question is a little bit dumb, but what could I do without
>proper documentation?:)

  First, make sure it's connected to a powered controller.  RL drives take
clock signals from their bus and show a fault without them.

  Second, make sure the heads are unlocked.  Pop the top (when the load light
is on, of course) and look at th head assembly.  There's a little metal "flag"
with one screw in it that can be either up or down.  When up, it prevents the
heads from moving into the disk area.

  About the load light...Upon powerup, the drive should light up the load light
and make a click (that's the solenoid that locks the top door) after 20-30
seconds.

  RLs are really nice drives...good luck with them!

                           -Dave McGuire