Subject: Re: RL01 behaviour; Dilog DQ226?
To: Varga Akos Endre <hamster@telnet.hu>
From: James Willing <jimw@agora.rdrop.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/03/1998 13:02:13
On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Varga Akos Endre wrote:

> First: is there some documentation on the web about the RL01 drives? I
> just got a PDP-11/04 system with two of these beasts. After I looked
> at the innards, cleaned it up a little and switched it on, I get the FAULT
> light, right after the power is on. The drive seems to move the disk
> spindle (or whatever it is called), then sometimes the LOAD button lights
> up too. Both drives do this, without being connected to the machine (it'll
> take some time to have the machine working...). What should I check? (I
> know, that this question is a little bit dumb, but what could I do without
> proper documentation?:)

Actually, nothing.  All of the RL series drives (RL01/RL02) will fault if
not connected to an active controller. (ie. installed in a powered up
system)

This fault indicates that the drives are not receiving their timing
signals from the controller.  Once you connect up the drives to their
controller and power up the CPU the drives should be much happier.

-jim
---
jimw@agora.rdrop.com
The Computer Garage - http://www.rdrop.com/~jimw