Subject: Re: Disk size...
To: None <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/24/1998 14:14:21
> There were some issues about files within a filesystem being longer
> than a certain limit (something to do with triple indirected inode
> blocks if I recall),

Right, that's another limit.  If we assume a filesystem with 8K blocks
and 1K frags, 2048=2^11 block numbers fit in a block.  The triple
indirect block thus points to 2^11 double indirect blocks, which point
to 2^22 single indirect blocks, which point to 2^33 data blocks of 2^13
bytes each, for a hard file size limit of 2^46 bytes.

Since this is bigger than the 2^41 byte filesystem size limit implied
by using 32-bit sector numbers and 512-byte sectors when talking to the
disk drivers, it is not a limit in practice.

> but you should be able to hook up pretty damn big disks without
> problems :)

Yup. :)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca