Subject: Re: VS3100 Monitor port pinout & other stuff.
To: Thomas Kula <tk0003@drake.edu>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/21/1998 00:23:53
On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Thomas Kula wrote:
>I managed to aquire one and got it to use the printer port as a serial
>terminal by opening it up and taking out the frame buffer. It is the other
>thing that looks like memory, but not like the bank of RAM on the one side.
>Since I don't have a monitor for it, existing without the frame buffer is
>okay--I can't recall off hand if NetBSD even supports the frame buffer on
>the DS 3100. Anyone?

  NetBSD supports that framebuffer nicely...I and several friends run
NetBSD/pmax with X on 3100s just fine.  FYI, further DECstation questions should
probably be directed to the port-pmax list.

  Incidentally...the size of that video SIMM determines whether the depth
of the onboard framebuffer is 1 bit (mono) or 8 bits (color).

                            -Dave McGuire