Subject: Re: Stability of NetBSD/VAX
To: Erno Palonheimo <esp@stip.net>
From: Sheila //or// Bob (depends on who's writing) <shsrms@erols.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/13/1998 18:50:40
Erno Palonheimo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What kind of uptimes should I expect? I haven't managed to get my uVAX II
> stay up for longer than six days, netbsd tends to sometimes just
> mysteriously hang and sometimes it drops me to kernel debugger. Is this
> normal or do I have bad luck? I have only 5 mb of RAM but running out of
> memory cannot be the problem as there usually is >70% of swapspace free.
Erno,
I have had my 1.3a cluster up for 60 plus days with no failures.  The
only reason it has not been up longer is cause I keep playing with
things.  With the upgrade to 1.3.2, I will leave one system operational
for as long as I can, I am anticpating more than 120 days cause I can
play with the others.

> Also, why does the machine sometimes just freeze totally, i.e. when
> compiling kernel? It just hangs and I can 'wake it up' by telnetting into
> it or doing some other kind of network activity. Hitting enter on any of
> terminals does not work, the machine stays locked up for hours but any
> network activity (not ping though, but anything that'll start some daemon)
> will wake it up immediately. Ideas?
Insufficient info:  What version are you running?  I had crazy probs
with 1.2, it would run fine for a long long long time on one machine and
never boot on an identical machine (hung up in getty with no sync
interface installed!), then it would boot fine nad hte other one would
crash!  go figure!

--
real address is shsrms at erols dot com
The Herbal Gypsy and the Tinker.