Subject: Re: Netbooting a VS3100/M30
To: Jonas Oberg <jonas@coyote.org>
From: J.S. Havard <enigma@intop.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/04/1998 23:01:51
On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Jonas Oberg wrote:

> I'm trying to get a VS3100/M30 with 24MB RAM to netboot from my Linux
> machine. I've gotten past the mopd problems now and am now having
> problems booting. I'm using the NetBSD 1.3.2 kernel.

I think there used to be problems with VS3100s with > 16MB.  Might still
be the case.

> boot device: le0
> nfs_boot: trying RARP (and RPC/bootparam)
> le0: device timed out
> revarp failed, error = 51

Did you remember to add the bootserver's address in your rarp table?  Add
it in /etc/ethers if it is a BSD box.  Read the FAQ for netbooting.  You
can find it at http://vaxarchive.ml.org (europe) or
www.sevensages.org/vax/ in the US.  The netbooting utilities are there.
Please note that some links are a little broken.  I haven't had time to
fix the things.

I had this same problem.  When you realize what you did, you usually feel
pretty dumb.  I beat myself up all night after I was done rejoicing that I
had finally gotten all *THREE* of my VS3100s working.  Of course, there is
a problem when it comes to using edlabel on my uVax-II, but I think that
is because the jumpers on the disks are messed up.

Speaking of which, what should the jumpers be set for this setup:

DUA0	RD53		DUA2	RD53
DUA1	RD53		DUA3	RD54

Also, what about using the SCSI disks on a VS3100?  Is that supported yet?
I got one vax I would like to keep in my bedroom and not have to netboot
it.

Regards,
John Havard

A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power
off and on.  Knight, seeing what the student was doing spoke sternly:
"You can not fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no
understanding of what is going wrong."  Knight turned the machine off
and on.  The machine worked.