Subject: 1.2G boottape/1.3.2 dist. and diskspace issues.
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/21/1998 22:56:00
I have a problem with installing netbsd1.3.2 on my MicrovaxII.

I have a RD54 as root disk, with 29 meg a partition, 20 meg swap partition
and the rest in e partition.

Now i was going to install netbsd via TK50 and ftp. The boot & miniroot on
the tape is 1.2G, the only one i have (and i have zapped everything in the
Microvax, since i needed to reformat the disks; they were quite flakey
(one of them i couldnt reformat..)=20

Anyway:

Everything seemed to go smoothly, I waited for the TK50 until i got almost
completely lunatic ;) but apart from that i came as fas as I got the
miniroot onto the ra0b, and booted it ( 'ra(0,0,1)netbsd'). I did the
ifconfig and route commands as described in the FAQ, and got the ftp
working. But now comes the hard part: I have 29 meg root partition, the
documaentation says i need atleast 10 meg, and recommends atleast 20 meg..=
=20
I thought i was safe. BUT: the base.tar is 42 meg, not 21 as said in teh
documentation, and hence i ran out of diskspace at about half the file..=20

As i am writing i'm ftping the "base.tar" to ra1c, a whole RD53.

Now that yuo know my current state, the question is:

how do I go about it, to get things setup from here? The Email presented
in the FAQ is less than explanative, and i have not *that* much experience
with installing Unices or programs in general. I need someone to "hold my
hand" while installing. any volunteers?

I reckon i will have to mount ra0e as /mnt/usr and ra0a as /mnt, and ra1c
(where i have the files) as /mnt/dist, but then what? I guess i have to
tell tar to put things in another place than default, and so on.. but how?

Is there another source of documentation that takes over after one get the
miniroot running from disk, because this is just about where the docs i
have found stops...

Help!

/Regards: Ronny Svedman

* Ronny Svedman  =09ronny@update.uu.se=09=09*
* Sturegatan 12A :123   Lando_C, in IRCnet #australia=09*
* 75314 UPPSALA         http://www.update.uu.se/~ronny=09*
* Sweden    =09=09+46-018/550404=09=09=09*
*=09=09=09=09=09=09=09*

"How long is a powercord?  -Usually 1% too short! "

- Ture P=E5lsson