Subject: Slightly off-topic: VS4000-60 hardware
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Andrews <mandrews@termfrost.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/29/1998 11:04:28
I picked up two of the VAXstation 4000-60's (KA46, Mariah based) that were
mentioned a while back.  I'm looking for a few hardware bits for at least
one of them. If anyone either has some, or can point me to somewhere I can
buy them...

There is a 3.5" and 5.25" drive tray in the case, but it appears you need
to mount the drive itself to some plastic bit that snaps in.  (The tray in
the case has no screw holes, and it's just barely too wide to hold a drive
securely on its own.)  I'm missing these plastic bits.

The front plate covering the 5.25" bay also has the front panel
switches/connectors (halt, audio, and so on).  I'm looking for one that
has the 5.25" bay exposed so that I can shove a DAT in there.  It also
came with no external SCSI connector...

Also, it has what appears to be a "LCG" (low cost graphics) video card,
with a W3 connector.  It's like the Sun 13W3 connector, but with ONLY the
coax-looking connectors and not any of the rest, in a DB15-sized plug.  I
can't find a cable with this end on it anywhere...  though I'm told this
can be made to work with both DEC's green-sync monitors (i.e. VR160,
VR290) as well as SVGA.  Either a cable terminating in 3 BNC or in HD15
(or one of each) would be really nice.

(Yes, I know NetBSD won't run on this.  I'm actually voluntarily running
VMS on this particular one.  It does run fine using a serial console right
now, but the hard drive is kinda just resting and not bolted down...  The
place I got it from had several left, if anyone's looking at NetBSD
development.)

Mike Andrews (MA12) icq 6602506  --------------  mandrews@dcr.net
Senior Systems/Network Administrator  ---  mandrews@termfrost.org
Digital Crescent, Frankfort, KY  -----  http://www.termfrost.org/
"If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?..."