Subject: Re: Support for DSSI and RF series drives
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@phoenix.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/16/1998 18:58:38
On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 06:15:03PM -0400, Scott R. Burns wrote:
> Reviewing the NetBSD pages and seeing VAX 3400 support I just downloaded
> the TK50 boot images for my VAXserver 3400 and was able to boot the tape
> fine, only to find no support for DSSI based RF drives. ;-) Any one
> working on a DSSI and RF driver ? If not, what controller and drives can I
> buy to cheaply get NetBSD up on this guy ?

Yes and no.
I'm going to be doing a DSSI driver as soon as I finish the SGEC driver. The
bad news is that the 3400's DSSI port uses a different device than the SHAC
found in my 4000/300 (and in all of the 4000-series boxes from the 200 to at
least the 600; dunno what CPU the 700 uses).

> If I provided console access to this machine over Internet would that help
> in the development effort ?

It would help, but what would help more is getting a copy of the CPU tech
reference manual for that system. (It's likely to be EK-KA640-TM, and cost
about $125.)