Subject: [Newbie question] Hardware support
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <Robert.Cross@scottish-newcastle.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/29/1998 09:12:43
--Boundary_(ID_ALBcKb+ytc6WtwsLFYtKlQ)

Hello, apologies to all concerned if this post is either dumb questions or in
the wrong place....

I've managed to inherit a few VAXstation 3100 M76's with 19" color head units
and TK50 screamer [;)]
tape drives. They were used for DECwindows, so I guess that they have
X-compatible graphics
hardware. I also have access to Alpha VAX's and proper (Sun/IBM) Unix boxes, in
case remote booting
is required.

Q1. What I would like to know is - how much use could I make of these boxes as
development systems
(Perl and other CGIs) and web servers? Based on what info I currently have, it
looks like the answer
is that they are effectively useless. ;'-(

Q2. In the unlikely event that they can be used, could some nice kind VAXen
point me towards the best
place to start? I've done quite a few proper Unix installs (AIX, Solaris, IRIX,
Ultrix, etc), and one Linux - so
I'm not a complete novice.

Big thanks.

Bob Cross.
email: robert dot cross at scottish-newcastle dot co dot uk

--Boundary_(ID_ALBcKb+ytc6WtwsLFYtKlQ)--