Subject: Re: I'm trying to compile a kernel but I don't know what I'm doing.
To: Daniel A. Seagraves <DSEAGRAV@toad.xkl.com>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@link.link-systems.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/26/1998 17:19:33
	% cd /sys/arch/vax/conf
	% config GENERIC
	% cd ../compile/GENERIC
	% make depend && make
	% cp -p netbsd /newnetbsd
	% shutdown now
	% cd /
	% mv netbsd onetbsd
	% mv newnetbsd netbsd
	% sync
	% reboot

	replace "vax" above with any other architecture ...

	if "config GENERIC" blows up on you, it may be because you're
	using a binary for "config" from version X.Y.Z yet you've been
	keen and grabbed a vastly newer source to which /sys points.

	rebuilding "config" with your new source is a good starting point.
	you may need to rebuild other things too...