Subject: Re: bitch bitch bitch was RE: KA6x0 support
To: Oscar Oberg <Oscar.Oberg@abc.se>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/24/1998 09:23:22
On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Oscar Oberg wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > 	If you have a PC around you should try booting a NetBSD 1.3.2
> > 	boot floppy to see the interface (you can easily bail before it
> > 	actually starts doing anything :)
>
> I hope it isn't like the 1.3 i386 install, which I had an unfortunate
> encounter with the other week. I'm not gonna pull a sokolov and complain
> without specifying what I'm complaining about, so here are the complaints:

	sysinst may not be perfect, but for a lot of users it makes
	installing NetBSD much easier. Combine that with support for
	different languages and a common interface across ports and
	its definitely a good way to go...

	In tru NetBSD tradition its problems tend to affect all ports -
	fixing them in one will also help the others.

> a) Tricky to install on multiple disks (my / disk was 80, the /usr 200,
> but the install program is geared toward a one-disk-multiple-partitions
> install as far as I could tell. I did finally succeed, but took alot
> longer than it should've

	That is definitely something that should be fixed - particularly
	for those machines (such as vax) that tend to have smaller disks.

	Can you file a PR on it?

> b) Default behaviour for any error was to start over from the beginning

	What do you define as an error here?

> c) Problems with FTP install. It also didn't produce any error messages to
> help debug the problem IIRC.

	I believe this has already been raised - I don't know if anyone
	has fixed it yet...

> If these things were fixed, however, it would be a great install process.

	I believe that is the intended plan :)

		David/absolute

    "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - Oscar Wilde