Subject: RE: KA6x0 support
To: 'Jay Maynard' <jmaynard@phoenix.net>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/18/1998 21:33:33
Jay Maynard wrote:

> Only one gotcha: I don't _have_ a KA640/KA50/whatever to play
> with. The only
> reason I'm doing the KA670 is that I stumbled across a
> smoking deal to get
> it. With that in mind, how would you suggest I proceed? It's
> kinda hard to
> write driver code for a machine you don't have to test on.

Maybe I can help. I have several 3300s (KA640) and will soon be getting
another one with an Emulex UC08 MSCP<->SCSI controller. I also have a
DEQNA lying around that I could install. The only thing missing is the
cable with the AUI contact that attaches to the DEQNA board.

With the above hardware it should be able to boot and run NetBSD and be
accessible on the 'net. I could install NetBSD for you and even give you
access to the console port (via a serial connection to another machine
where you'd have an account).

If I set this up, would you be interested in adding the KA640 support to
NetBSD/vax?

(I have no docs for the KA640, sorry)

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2